Flourless Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes are a gluten free delectable dessert made with a rich chocolate cake and topped with chocolate cream cheese frosting! A kick of cayenne pepper adds a fun twist to create a spicy treat.
What’s the best way to start the week? With chocolate, of course! Not only do I have two exciting new recipes to share with you this week, but I am also heading back to the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival and Walt Disney World for a food photography workshop. Follow along on my Instagram stories for fun highlights from the workshop and my trip to Disney. But until then, make a batch of these Flourless Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting. These little cupcakes are simply too good to resist.
Given the popularity of my Flourless Mexican Brownies, I knew I had to combine some of the same flavors to create a cupcake version. These cupcakes combine a flourless cake layer with chocolate cream cheese frosting. I added a small amount of cayenne pepper to add a flavorful kick. You can adjust the amount of cayenne pepper depending on your preference. You can event omit the cayenne pepper if you prefer a plain flourless chocolate cupcake. Either way, the result is completely irresistible. You won’t even know that these cupcakes are flourless.
I used dark unsweetened cocoa powder but you can use any unsweetened cocoa powder that you prefer. The cream cheese adds a subtle tanginess and the cayenne pepper creates a kick of flavor that makes these cupcakes extra special. The recipe makes about one dozen cupcakes so it’s the perfect amount to share with friends. Don’t wait, bake a batch today!
I use a large closed star tip to pipe the frosting.
Flourless Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (12 tablespoons)
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the frosting:
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more or less, to taste
- chocolate sprinkles, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with liners; set aside.
- In a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, combine the chocolate and butter for the cupcakes, stirring until completely melted. Remove from heat, add the brown sugar and salt and whisk until combined. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until the mixture is smooth. Add the cocoa powder and cayenne pepper and stir until just combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full. Bake until set, about 15 to 17 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- To make the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese and butter. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy. Add the cocoa powder, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and cayenne pepper. Beat until smooth.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles, as desired. Enjoy!
- I use a large closed star tip to pipe the frosting.
This post may contain affiliate links.