Peach Pie Cupcakes are a fun twist on a classic summer dessert! Light vanilla cupcakes are topped with homemade peach pie filling, vanilla buttercream frosting and baked crumb topping.
These delectable cupcakes are inspired by a classic peach pie. They are the perfect summer dessert for both kids and adults!
Yes, they require a little bit of work since they are made from scratch. But, the result is worth it. The filling is made with fresh peaches to create the best flavor. These bakery style cupcakes are sure to impress.
If you love these peach pie cupcakes, you might also love these Apple Pie Cupcakes!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Delicious peach pie filling! The peach pie filling is made from scratch and is packed with flavor.
- This impressive treat comes together with easy to follow instructions.
- You can prep these peach cupcakes ahead of time for a party or gathering.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
While most of the ingredients are classic cupcake ingredients, you will find a few notes below.
- Flour: This recipe uses both all-purpose flour and cake flour. The cake flour helps create the light and fluffy texture of the cupcakes. You can substitute the cake flour with all-purpose flour. The results will be very similar.
- Milk: 2% or whole milk is preferred for the best flavor.
- Lemon Juice: The peach pie filling calls for lemon juice. It helps add a tart flavor to the filling. If you prefer no lemon juice, you can omit or reduce the amount of lemon juice.
You can substitute the peach topping with store-bought peach pie filling, but the flavor and texture will not be the same. While the topping requires a little extra work, the results are worth it.
Tools You Need
- I use a large open star tip to pipe the frosting.
- You can use a disposable piping bag or a reusable piping bag.
How to Make Peach Cupcakes
This peach cupcake recipe comes together with four main components – cupcakes, peach pie topping, crumble topping and buttercream frosting.
- Prepare the cupcakes: Follow the instructions for making the cupcake layer by mixing the ingredients and baking in the prepared muffin cups.
- Make the peach pie filling: While the cupcakes are baking, you can prepare the peach filling on the stove top. Be sure to cool the filling completely before topping the cupcakes.
- Prepare the crumb topping: The crumb topping is an essential part of the cupcakes as it adds the pie crust flavor. You can mix together the ingredients for the topping in a bowl and then bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Whip the frosting: Use a mixer to make the vanilla buttercream frosting. To make the frosting light and fluffy be sure to beat the frosting well.
- Assemble the cupcakes: Now that you have all of the components, you can assemble the cupcakes.
- Prep the peach pie filling in advance – You can make the peach pie filling up to 3 days in advance. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator until you are ready to use.
- Use room temperature ingredients – Make sure the butter and eggs are at room temperature before baking.
- Use a large star tip for frosting – The key to making bakery style cupcakes is the beautiful frosting swirls. You can use a large open star tip to achieve the same results in the photos.
Store the peach cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also store in a cupcake container or on a plate covered in plastic wrap.
Other Peach Recipes
Did you try these Peach Pie Cupcakes? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Peach Pie Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk
For the peach topping:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 cups peeled, cored and chopped peaches
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup water plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the crumb topping:
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups 3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- To make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350° F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- Sift together flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until combined after each.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners, filling each about ¾-full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Let cool in the pan about 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the peach filling: While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the peach topping. To make the peach topping, heat the butter in a medium-large skillet. Stir in the peaches, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Heat until the fruit begins to release its juices. Add 2/3 cup of water to the pan and bring the mixture to a low simmer. Cook until the peaches are just fork tender but not mushy. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of water with the cornstarch, and whisk lightly until smooth. Add the cornstarch mixture to the peaches and cook 1-2 minutes more, until the mixture has thickened. Let cool thoroughly before topping the cupcakes.
- To make the crumb topping: While the cupcakes are cooling prepare the crumb topping. Set oven temperature to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl, stir together the melted butter and sugar. Add the flour, oats and cinnamon and stir until combined. Crumble into large pieces with your hands and sprinkle in a baking disk. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until crumble starts to brown slightly. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- To make the frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for about 5 minutes. Turn the mixer down to low speed and gradually add in the confectioners’ sugar until incorporated. Add in the vanilla and salt and mix until incorporated. Turn the mixer back up to medium-high speed and beat for an additional 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Pipe frosting around the edge of each cupcake, leaving a well for the topping. Divide peach topping evenly among cupcakes. Sprinkle with crumb topping. Enjoy!
- We use a large open star tip for pipping the frosting.
This recipe originally published in August 2017. It was updated in July 2023 with new tips and recipe details.