Fresh strawberry cupcakes have strawberries in the cake layer and the buttercream frosting. Try this homemade strawberry cupcake recipe for a sweet treat!
Berry season is officially in full swing and I am eager to share my homemade strawberry cupcakes with you! Haley here from If You Give a Blonde a Kitchen and this month I have a sweet dessert to help kick-off summer. It uses the freshest strawberries for the ultimate berry flavor.
Strawberry cupcakes are baked with fresh strawberries in both the cupcakes and the buttercream frosting. The cupcake includes a strawberry pureé and chopped strawberries to ensure each bite has some berry taste. The buttercream frosting uses the same strawberry pureé, but it is simmered and reduced for more concentrated flavor.
How to make strawberry cupcakes
Strawberry cupcakes are simply vanilla cupcakes flavored with fresh strawberries. The best way to obtain that flavor is to add strawberry pureé to the cupcake batter. Simply put three large strawberries in a small food processor and blend!
Chopped strawberries are another key ingredient to add. Chop them small enough so they disperse evenly into the batter (about 1/4-inch thick).
Once all the ingredients are combined, transfer the batter to a muffin tin lined with paper liners and bake! The cupcakes will turn a very pale pink thanks to the strawberries.
We use cake flour in this recipe to keep the cupcakes light and fluffy but you can also use all purpose flour or use our cake flour substitute.
Strawberry buttercream frosting recipe
This frosting may be one of my new favorites. It’s simply a vanilla buttercream frosting slightly adjusted. I lowered the amount of vanilla and omitted the milk to make room for the strawberry reduction.
All you need is butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and strawberries to make this frosting! I always beat the butter before adding the remaining ingredients. This makes butter smooth, which ultimately creates a smooth, creamy frosting.
Strawberry sauce reduction steps
This may be the most important part of this recipe. The strawberry reduction is key to the best flavor in the frosting without thinning out the frosting with berry juices.
To start, pureé strawberries in the food processor. Then transfer the pureé to a medium sauce pan and simmer over medium-low heat stirring occasionally. The pureé will reduce by two-thirds, but intensify the flavor.
Once the reduction cools, add it to the frosting and mix until well combined. The frosting will become a naturally pink hue that is appealing to the eye and the tastebuds!
This strawberry cupcake recipe is packed with fresh flavor. We promise you won’t be disappointed! And if you love strawberry recipes as much as we do, try some of our other favorite baked strawberry recipes!
- Strawberry Oat Bars – made with strawberry jam and almond flour for ultimate flavor
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Brownies – fudgy brownies and fresh strawberries are a match made in heaven!
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bars – a no-bake recipe perfect for summer!
- Strawberry Scones – a simply delicious breakfast treat
We use a large star tip for pipping the frosting!
- 6 large strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter,, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk,, room temperature
- 2 egg whites,, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup buttermilk,, room temperature (whole milk works too)
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 6 large strawberries,, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup unsalted butter,, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar,, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a regular-sized cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a small food processor, blend 3 large strawberries until pureéd. This should yield 1/4 cup. Chop remaining 3 strawberries into small pieces. Set both the pureé and chopped strawberries aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add vanilla, egg yolk and egg whites. Beat just until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl if necessary.
- With the mixer on low, alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Mix just until combined (avoid over mixing).
- Using a rubber spatula, stir in the strawberry pureé and chopped strawberries by hand. Use this time to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl if necessary.
- Spoon batter into prepared cupcake tin, filling each cup until 2/3 full. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Prepare frosting.
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- Pureé strawberries in the food processor. Transfer to a medium saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat stirring occasionally. Simmer until reduced to no more than 3 tablespoons of concentrated pureé. Transfer to a small bowl and cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), beat butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup confectioners' sugar and beat on medium speed just until combined. Add vanilla and strawberry pureé concentrate and mix just until combined. Add remaining confectioners' sugar and beat until combined.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with desired tip. Frost cupcakes and garnish with a strawberry if desired. Store cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Use organic strawberries for the best flavor.
- We use a large star tip for pipping frosting.
- You can skip the step where you reduce the strawberry sauce on the stove. Simply add the strawberry puree a teaspoon at a time until the desired texture and flavor is reached. Although we don't recommend skipping the reduction step as it helps create the absolute best flavor!
Connect with Haley:
Blog | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
This post contains affiliate links.
I made it today and is delicious, only thing was a bit too oily for the base.
These are perfect for summer! The use of the fresh summer strawberries is perfect for any summer picnic, bbq, or potluck.
I’m so glad you loved these cupcakes, Jacquelyn! Thanks for your feedback.
My favorite flavor of cupcakes! Thanks for the great recipe
My daughter’s new favorite cupcake.
Such a good recipe – we were fighting over the last one! Thanks!