Butternut squash, black beans, and kale seasoned with warm Southwest spices are the perfect pairing in these vegetarian and gluten-free tacos!
Hi friends, Danae from Recipe Runner here today! Can you guys believe that we are already at the end of October? Wasn’t it just summer? Now I’m anxiously awaiting our first snow here in Colorado. We’ve had a really mild fall so far. With the exception of a couple days last week it’s been nothing but sun and warm weather, I can’t complain.
Of course with fall and cooler temperatures I’m sure many of you are changing the way you eat and leaning more towards soups, casseroles, and anything that tastes like that warm comfort food you get a craving for this time of year. I am right there with you! Somehow all the grilled foods I craved a few months ago don’t sound as appealing anymore, but maybe that’s because I don’t want to go stand out in the cold and man the grill.
Today I made us some delicious comfort food tacos using one of my favorite seasonal fall ingredients, butternut squash. These butternut squash, black bean and kale tacos are not only easy to make, but healthy as well. You wouldn’t think that squash, black beans, and kale belong together in a taco, but when you add in the Southwest spices, along with a hint of cinnamon (trust me on this one, it’s amazing), and a squeeze of fresh lime juice, they are sure to make you all warm and fuzzy inside!
These tacos are made entirely in one skillet, which means easy clean up for you. They’re vegetarian so not only can you enjoy them for taco Tuesday, but meatless Monday as well. The butternut squash and kale are loaded with vitamins and nutrients and the black beans add protein to the tacos, so go ahead and load your plate with a few of these babies! While I didn’t add any cheese to the tacos, you definitely could. A crumbly, salty cheese such as queso fresco or cotija would be an excellent addition. Be sure to add these flavorful and easy to make butternut squash, black bean and kale tacos to your weekly menu rotation!
Butternut Squash, Black Bean and Kale Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 cups kale rib removed and chopped
- 1/2 of a yellow onion diced
- 1 jalapeño seeds and rib removed then minced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder ancho chile powder if you have it
- 1/2- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Several dashes of hot sauce optional
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- Juice of half a lime
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Lime wedges and cilantro for serving
- Heat a 12 inch cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add in the olive oil and swirl around to coat the pan.
- Add in the butternut squash and cook for approximately 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the diced onion, jalapeño, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and hot sauce and cook for 3-4 more minutes until the onion has softened and the squash is almost cooked through.
- Add in the kale and cook until the kale is wilted.
- Stir in the black beans and squeeze in the lime juice then turn off the heat.
- Serve on warmed tortillas with cilantro and more lime juice if desired.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 155, Fat: 4g, Sodium: 759mg, Potassium: 684mg, Carbohydrates: 25g, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 2g, Protein: 7g, Vitamin A: 252.9%, Vitamin C: 98.8%, Calcium: 12.8%, Iron: 14.2%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Connect with Danae: