One of my favorite things about winter is picking fresh citrus from my back yard. Have you ever tried a red grapefruit picked right from the tree? It tastes like candy. Seriously! With over 15 varieties of citrus on our property, there is always something fresh and unique to try. I love trying new recipes and adding citrus flavor to my meals. Citrus is a burst of fresh color and flavor during the cold days of winter. In fact, some days I slice up a few types of citrus, layer them on a plate and enjoy the beautiful colors. A beautiful color palate and a unique variety of flavors is refreshing and fun. In addition to the citrus, we always have a few pomegranates and an entire garden bed of fresh kale. Combining the citrus, pomegranate and kale yields a bold, beautiful and flavorful salad. The best thing about this salad is that it’s easy. Even counting the time it takes me to pick the fresh fruit and kale, I can have this salad ready in less than 15 minutes.
- 3 heaping cups kale, destemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup Marzetti Simply Dressed Pomegranate Dressing, plus more for topping
- 1 red grapefruit, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 blood orange, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate arils
- In a large bowl, combine kale and 1/4 cup dressing; mix well. Spread the kale on a plate or a bowl. Arrange the slices of citrus in a layer over the kale. Sprinkle with almonds and pomegranate arils. Drizzle with additional dressing and enjoy!