Take your toast to a whole new level with these Lemon Rosemary White Bean Toasts with Mushrooms! Creamy white beans spread on crunchy whole grain toast and topped with a sautéed blend of mushrooms. They’re great for any meal or an afternoon snack!
Toast is something I’m really not that into. I never have it with breakfast anymore, unless it’s the French version dipped in custard and drowning in maple syrup. It just doesn’t excite me the way omelets or muffins do. A while back toast started to become really popular again because someone thought to mash up an avocado and put it on top. I’m totally for this idea because let’s face it, toast on it’s own is generally what you see leftover on breakfast plates.
Since I’m not a toast person when it comes to breakfast, I decided to try these Lemon Rosemary White Bean Toasts with Mushrooms for lunch. My views on toast have totally been changed you guys! Who knew that something so simple could have so much flavor!
Essentially my toast recipe is just a giant piece of crostini, but since toast is trendy I’m sticking with calling it that. These Lemon Rosemary White Bean Toasts with Mushrooms are not only vegetarian, but can also be made gluten-free depending on the bread you choose to use. Most toast leaves me feeling empty and unsatisfied, but not this one! The white bean spread is basically hummus, but I used cannellini beans instead of chickpeas. It’s flavored with lemon zest, juice, fresh rosemary, thyme and a little garlic. I always go easy on raw garlic in recipes, because I’m not a fan of it. If you love it raw, feel free to increase the amount the recipe calls for.
The sautéed mushrooms on top are simply seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh thyme. It always amazes me how simple ingredients and fresh herbs can turn something as plain as mushrooms into a flavor filled topping. I recommend using a mix of mushrooms for more flavor and texture. I used creminis and shitakes, but whatever you can find should work. These Lemon Rosemary White Bean Toasts with Mushrooms make a great lunch, snack or meatless dinner. They’d even be great for breakfast with a fried egg on top! Happy toasting friends!
Lemon Rosemary White Bean Toasts with Mushrooms
Lemon Rosemary White Bean Spread:
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of a small lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon minced or grated garlic use more if you like a lot of garlic flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1-3 tablespoons water to achieve desired creaminess of the spread
- 12 ounces mixed blend of mushrooms sliced (I used cremini and shitake mushrooms)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley chopped
- Whole grain crusty bread or whatever bread you prefer toasted
Lemon Rosemary White Bean Spread
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the water in as necessary to reach the desired consistency.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in the mushrooms and spread them out into a single layer.
- Let them cook without moving them for 2-3 minutes or until they start to turn golden brown.
- Add in the salt, pepper and thyme and stir.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until they are softened and slightly caramelized.
- Remove from the heat and add in the parsley.
- Toast the bread and spread on some of the white bean spread.
- Top with some of the sautéed mushroom.
- Sprinkle with a little more salt, pepper and parsley if desired.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 152, Fat: 5g, Sodium: 237mg, Potassium: 258mg, Carbohydrates: 22g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 2g, Protein: 7g, Vitamin A: 2.2%, Vitamin C: 7%, Calcium: 6.4%, Iron: 15.5%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
More Toast and Crostini Recipes
Connect with Danae: