This delicious homemade Mango Sorbet recipe is made with just 5 ingredients, including fresh mangos. It’s a fruity, refreshing dessert that’s perfect for the summer months!
Fresh mango is one of my favorite summer snacks! It’s refreshing and packed with flavor. We love digging into mango salad or baked mango habanero chicken wings when we’re craving fresh mango flavor. Turn mango into a sorbet and it’s even better!
Mangoes are in season from May to September, so this mango sorbet recipe is the perfect way to enjoy them while they’re at their peak. You can find mangoes at your local grocery store or farmer’s market.
Mango sorbet is made with only five ingredients in a food processor in less than 25 minutes. Wait a few hours until it’s frozen and enjoy a scoop any day of the week!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This easy mango sorbet is a great way to use fresh mango.
- It contains only 5 simple ingredients that you can find anywhere.
- Homemade mango sorbet is both dairy-free and vegan.
- It requires only 25 minutes of prep before freezing.
Ingredients You Need
This recipe comes together easily with a few basic ingredients!
- Fresh Mangoes – You can find mangoes at your local grocery store or farmer’s market, especially in the summer when they are in season. Use ripe mangoes for this recipe. If you don’t have fresh mango on hand, you can use thawed frozen mango.
- Sugar – Standard granulated sugar adds a natural sweetness and smooth texture. You can use less sugar but the sorbet will be much firmer. You can substitute with light brown sugar or maple syrup, but it will have more of a molasses flavor.
- Lime Juice – Helps to add flavor and acidity. You can omit, if needed.
- Salt – Enhances the flavor of the sorbet. You can omit, if needed.
- Water – Needed to help thin out the sorbet mixture.
- Dark Rum (Optional) – Though optional, a small amount of dark rum gives the sorbet a deeper flavor that pairs well with the rest of the ingredients.
To make the sorbet extra smooth, add 2 to 3 teaspoons of vodka instead of rum to the sorbet mixture before freezing (stir to blend.)
How to Make Homemade Mango Sorbet
- Prepare the mango: Wash the outside of the mango. Then, using a sharp knife, cut the fruit from around the large seed in the center. You should be left with two mango halves, each with a large flat seed in the center.
- Score the mango flesh: Using a fork or the back of the spoon, score the mango flesh into small cubes and scoop out with a spoon.
- Puree the mango sorbet base: In a blender or food processor, combine the mango chunks, sugar, water, lime juice, rum and salt. Puree the mixture until smooth.
- Chill and freeze: Chill the mango puree mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Scoop and serve: When ready, scoop out into your favorite ice cream bowls and top with a sprig of mint or basil. Enjoy!
No ice cream maker? No problem! – If you don’t have an ice cream maker, just pour the mango mixture into a shallow dish and freeze for about two hours or until solid. Soften on the counter slightly before serving.
Helpful Tips for Making Sorbet
- Choosing a ripe mango – To figure out if a mango is ripe enough, give it a gentle squeeze. You should feel some give, but the mango shouldn’t be too soft.
- Allow to soften before serving – Let the sorbet soften for a few minutes on the counter before serving.
- Add other fruit to this mango sorbet recipe – Add a cup of raspberries, blackberries or strawberries for even more fresh flavor.
Other Mango Recipes
- Strawberry Mango Salsa
- Mango Mojito
- Chicken Meatball Lettuce Wraps with Mango Salsa
- Mango Popsicles
- Mango Salad
Sorbet is a refreshing snack or dessert. It’s perfect during the summer months when you need a treat to cool you down. Best of all, you can prep this dessert days in advance of serving and enjoy it all summer long.
If you tried this easy many sorbet, leave a recipe rating and review below!
- 2 large mangoes, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- pinch of salt
- In a blender or food processor, combine the mango, sugar, water, lime juice, rum and salt. Puree the mixture until smooth. Chill mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- recipe barely adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz