One Pot Jambalaya Pasta packs a ton of flavor with its classic Cajun taste! Cooked in just one pot, this is the perfect no-mess meal for an easy, weeknight dinner the entire family will love.
Back-to-school season means hectic schedules. And with busier-than-usual schedules, that can often mean there’s less time to spend in the kitchen. One-pot meals are the perfect dinner for nights where you are looking for something quick, easy and nutritious. I love one-pot recipes because it takes almost no time to prepare and there is little cleanup since everything cooks in just one pot. In order to save you from boring take out food, I’m sharing this easy one pot jambalaya pasta dinner. It’s on the table in less than 45 minutes to make dinner easy during back-to-school season!
This wholesome family dinner can easily be made gluten-free by substituting the penne pasta for your favorite gluten-free variety. Save leftovers to enjoy for dinner throughout the week. One Pot Jambalaya Pasta is on the table in 40 minutes or less and is sure to be a family favorite. Go ahead, dig in!
How do you make cajun seasoning?
To make cajun seasoning combine the following ingredients; 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and 1/8 teaspoon red chili flakes.
I absolutely love this dish because it has my favorite classic Cajun flavors and a creamy texture. Plus, you can adjust the seasoning to your family’s preferences. Add a bit more cajun seasoning to give it more spice or use less if you’d prefer the dish to be a bit more mild. Either way – this is the perfect dish to enjoy those Cajun flavors that you love without making a trip to New Orleans!
To make the One Pot Jambalaya Pasta
Everything cooks in one skillet for this jambalaya pasta. Add olive oil and onions to the skillet. Cook until softened. Add the chicken and cook until brown on both sides. Stir in the garlic and sausage. Add pasta, chicken broth, peppers, tomatoes and cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, stir in the shrimp and cook for an additional 7 minutes. Stir in the cream cheese and shredded cheese. Garnish with chives and serve.
Notes and Tips for this Jambalaya Pasta
- Adjust the flavor by adding more or less cajun seasoning.
- For a cheesier pasta, add an additional 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- You can omit the shrimp or sausage if desired.
- I prefer fresh vegetables but you can use frozen peppers and onions if desired.
One Pot Pasta Dinner Recipes
- One Pot Lemon Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Rigatoni Pasta Skillet
- One Pot Caprese Pasta
- One Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta
One Pot Jambalaya Pasta
- 1/2 pound chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 ounces Andouille sausage
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeds removed and sliced into thin strips
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeds removed and sliced into thin strips
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Sliced chives for garnish
- Season chicken with one tablespoon Cajun seasoning; set aside.
- In a 12” pan or skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and stir until soft, about 3 minutes. Add chicken to pan and cook until brown on both sides. Stir in garlic and sausage and cook one additional minute. Add uncooked pasta, chicken broth, sliced peppers, tomatoes and remaining Cajun seasoning. Stir then bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir, add shrimp to the pan, recover and simmer an additional 7 minutes. Uncover and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with chives and serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 427, Fat: 16.9g, Saturated Fat: 5.3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.7g, Monounsaturated Fat: 5.3g, Cholesterol: 126mg, Sodium: 680mg, Potassium: 272mg, Carbohydrates: 42.2g, Fiber: 2.6g, Sugar: 3.3g, Protein: 30.3g, Vitamin A: 17.2%, Vitamin C: 75.5%, Calcium: 16.3%, Iron: 18.6%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Tools needed to make One Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Skillet: A skillet is needed for all one pot meals. I love this high quality inexpensive skillet.
- Cutting Board: this is the cutting board I use in my own kitchen. It’s large and lasts forever.
- Knife: a good high quality chef’s knife is a must in any kitchen.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, DON’T FORGET TO SHARE A PHOTO AND TAG @SPOONFULFLAVOR ON INSTAGRAM.
This post first appeared on The Slow Roasted Italian website. This post contains affiliate links.