Combine a few ingredients with pumpkin puree to make an easy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce. Serve it over fettuccine, penne, spaghetti or any of your favorite noodles for a creamy and delicious meal!
Creamy homemade pumpkin sauce is easy to make. Combine a few ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge with pumpkin puree to create an easy and delicious savory meal. Even non pumpkin lovers will love this sauce!
This pumpkin pasta sauce recipe is made with a few basic ingredients. It comes together in less than 20 minutes and is served with your favorite type of pasta.
It’s a quick, easy and delicious dinner recipe!
Ingredients You Need
This recipe comes together with a few basic pasta cream sauce ingredients.
- Heavy Cream – Heavy cream is preferred for the best texture. It also helps to prevent the sauce from curdling, as heavy cream has a higher fat content than milk. You can use half and half or a mixture of milk and heavy cream, if desired, but be sure to follow instructions to prevent curdling. Allow the heavy cream to rest at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before making the sauce.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – Use freshly grated Parmesan for the best texture and flavor.
- Pumpkin Puree – You can use canned pumpkin puree of fresh homemade pumpkin puree. Do not use pumpkin pie filling.
- Butter – Use unsalted butter. If you use salted butter, you can reduce the amount of additional salt you add to the pasta sauce.
- Pasta – Any type of pasta works well with this sauce. Whole wheat pasta noodles are a good choice. You can also use gluten-free pasta.
- Spices – You can omit nutmeg, if desired or even add a dash of cinnamon.
- Garlic – Freshly minced garlic tastes the best.
You can substitute the pumpkin with butternut squash puree to make an easy butternut squash pasta sauce.
Steps to Make Pumpkin Sauce
First prepare the pasta in a large pot according to the package instructions. While the pasta is cooking, make the pumpkin sauce.
- Cook the Butter and Garlic – While you cook the pasta, heat a medium skillet over medium low heat. Melt the butter and add the minced garlic. Cook until just fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the Heavy Cream – Lower the heat to low and pour in the heavy cream, while continuing to whisk. Bring to a simmer and whisk occasionally until it starts to thicken.
- Add Spices – Stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg and grated Parmesan cheese. Whisk gently until the cheese is melted completely.
- Add Pumpkin – Add the pumpkin to the pan and stir until it has been incorporated completely.
- Add Cooked Pasta – Add the pasta to the pan and toss to coat.
Be sure to whisk while adding the heavy cream, cheese and pumpkin to the pan. This will help prevent the pumpkin pasta sauce from curdling.
- Prevent Curdling – Sometimes when preparing cream sauce recipes, the sauce may curdle. To prevent curdling be sure to bring the heavy cream to room temperature and adjust your temperature to low heat before adding the cream. Also be sure to whisk the sauce continuously while adding the heavy cream to the pan. Using heavy cream as opposed to milk or lower fat products will also prevent the sauce from curdling.
- Adjust ingredients to fit your taste. Add more heavy cream to make the creamy pumpkin pasta sauce thinner or more pumpkin puree to make it thicker.
- Serve the pasta with protein like chicken or sausage.
- Storing leftovers: Store leftovers in the refrigerator and reheat on low heat to warm. You can also freeze the sauce separately or with the pasta for up to 3 months.
- Make it healthier: You can cut back on the cheese or heavy cream slightly to make it healthier.
Once you make this pasta sauce once, you will want to make it again and again. It’s an impressive meal that requires little prep. Whisk together this easy dinner in less than 25 minutes and enjoy.
Best Pumpkin Recipes
Enjoy the taste of pumpkin season with your favorite pumpkin recipes. Try this meal and let us know what you think!
Did you try this pumpkin pasta sauce recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below!
Easy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- 1 pound pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree*
- Fresh sage, chopped (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain.
- While pasta is cooking, in a medium sized skillet over medium low heat, melt butter. Add minced garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 1 minute. Lower heat to low and pour in heavy cream and bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally until it starts to thicken.
- Add in salt, black pepper, nutmeg and grated Parmesan and whisk gently until the cheese has melted completely.
- Add pumpkin and stir until it has been incorporated completely. Add pasta to pan and toss to coat. Garnish with chopped fresh sage and enjoy!
- This dish tastes great with any kind of pasta.
- Serve it with Italian sausage or chicken for additional protein and flavor.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To freeze, cool the dish completely, then store in a freezer safe container for up to three months. The sauce can also be frozen separately. To reheat, stir over low heat to prevent it from curdling.
- If the sauce gets too thick while cooking or reheating, just thin it out with some water.
putting this on black and red noodles for halloween. yum!