Combine a few ingredients with pumpkin puree to make an easy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce. Serve it over fettuccine, penne, spaghetti or any of your favorite noodles for a creamy and delicious meal!
Creamy homemade pumpkin sauce is easy to make. Combine a few ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge with pumpkin puree to create an easy and delicious meal. Even non pumpkin lovers will love this sauce!
- Heavy Cream – You can use half and half or a mixture of milk and heavy cream, if desired.
- Grated Parmesan – Use freshly grated Parmesan for the best texture and flavor.
- Pumpkin Puree – You can use canned pumpkin puree of fresh homemade puree. Do not use pumpkin pie filling.
- Pasta – Any type of pasta works well with this sauce.
- Spices – You can omit nutmeg, if desired or even add a dash of cinnamon.
- Garlic – Freshly minced garlic tastes the best.
Tips for Making Pumpkin Sauce
- Adjust ingredients to fit your taste. Add more heavy cream to make the sauce thinner or more pumpkin puree to make it thicker.
- Serve the pasta with protein like chicken or sausage.
- Storing leftovers: Store leftovers in the refrigerator and reheat on low heat to warm. You can also freeze the sauce separately or with the pasta for up to 3 months.
- Make it healthier: You can cut back on the cheese or heavy cream slightly to make it healthier.
Once you make this pasta sauce once, you will want to make it again and again. It’s an impressive meal that requires little prep. Whisk together this pumpkin pasta sauce in less than 25 minutes and enjoy.
Best Pumpkin Recipes
Enjoy the taste of pumpkin season with your favorite pumpkin recipes. Try this meal and let us know what you think!
Do you love this recipe?
Subscribe to get new recipes, kitchen tips and more delivered via email:
Easy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- 1 pound pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree*
- Fresh sage, chopped (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain.
- While pasta is cooking, in a medium sized skillet over medium low heat, melt butter. Add minced garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in heavy cream and bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally until it starts to thicken.
- Add in salt, black pepper, nutmeg and grated Parmesan and whisk gently until the cheese has melted completely.
- Add pumpkin and stir until it has been incorporated completely. Add pasta to post and toss to coat. Garnish with chopped fresh sage and enjoy!
- This dish tastes great with any kind of pasta.
- Serve it with Italian sausage or chicken for additional protein and flavor.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To freeze, cool the dish completely, then store in a freezer safe container for up to three months. The sauce can also be frozen separately. To reheat, stir over low heat to prevent it from curdling.
- If the sauce gets too thick while cooking or reheating, just thin it out with some water.