Creamy Wild Rice and Mushroom Casserole is an easy baked casserole that is packed with flavor! Enjoy it for dinner on its own or serve it as a side dish with your favorite meal.
This post is sponsored by Campbell’s®. As always, all opinions are my own.
Rice casserole is a great choice for dinner. It’s hearty, filling and delicious. It works great for gatherings, holidays or even for dinner during the week.
To save time and add more flavor, this recipe uses one can of Campbell’s® Cream of Mushroom Soup. Campbell’s® is a brand that everyone recognizes and the condensed soup is a staple in our kitchen. It’s a convenient mix-in for a variety of recipes. Mix together the mushroom soup with fresh mushrooms, rice, spices and a creamy sauce.
Ingredients You Need
- Mushrooms – Cremini mushrooms, baby belle mushrooms or sliced button mushrooms work great in casserole.
- Onion – Fresh yellow onion adds the best flavor.
- Wild Rice – A wild rice blend tastes the best.
- Campbell’s® Cream of Mushroom Soup – The soup is packed with flavor and creamy goodness.
- Vegetable Broth – This helps thin out the sauce and add even more flavor.
- Heavy Cream – You can substitute with half and half, if needed.
- Cheese – This recipe uses a combo of shredded Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese to create a rich and creamy dish.
- Fresh Spices and Herbs – Garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Use fresh for the best flavor.
- Olive Oil – This is needed to sauté the onions and mushrooms.
- Cook the rice in advance. You can do this up to 2 days before making the casserole. To yield 3 cups of cooked wild rice, you will need about 1 1/4 cup of uncooked rice.
- Use fresh herbs for the best flavor. You will not get the same result with dried herbs.
- Bake the casserole in a 3-quart dish. You can use a rectangular, square or oval dish for baking.
- Prep ahead: You can prep this casserole up to 1 day in advance. Prepare the casserole through step 4. After adding the cheese, cover and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake.
- Don’t skip the broiling. Broil the casserole for up to 5 minutes after baking to achieve that nice golden crust on the top.
- Serve the rice on its own for a full meal or as a side dish.
Freezing Wild Rice Casserole
To freeze this baked casserole, portion it out in freezer safe zipped-top bags or freezer safe containers. Squeeze out as much air as possible. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat prior to serving.
To reheat, place the casserole in an oven safe dish. Reheat at 325 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the rice is heated through.
Homemade wild rice and mushroom casserole is the perfect comfort food. It’s packed with plenty of flavor and is a tasty meal that feeds your entire family. Try it and let us know what you think!
What to Serve with Rice Casserole
Did you make this recipe? Click here to leave a review.
Wild Rice and Mushroom Casserole
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, freshly chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 cups cooked wild rice blend
- 10.5 ounces Campbell's® Cream of Mushroom Soup, (1 can)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the inside of a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add sliced mushrooms, cooking for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft. Stir in garlic, thyme, and rosemary, salt, and pepper; cook for 1 minute.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in the cooked wild rice, soup, broth, and heavy cream. Stir until well combined. Lastly, add shredded Mozzarella cheese, stirring to incorporate.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbling.
- Remove the casserole, remove the foil, and preheat broiler to high heat.
- Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese. Broil uncovered on the top rack 2 to 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.