Carrot Coffee Cake Muffins with Cream Cheese Icing is the perfect treat for brunch or snack! With cinnamon streusel and crunchy pecans you won’t be able to resist these muffins!
Eat your veggies and enjoy a special treat too! All Mondays should start with something special so I’m sharing my favorite carrot coffee cake muffin recipe with you today. I love these muffins because you can make them ahead and serve them for breakfast or brunch.
Sometimes inspiration for my recipes comes from fresh produce I pick up at the farmers market or grocery store. I can’t resist beautiful fruit and veggies and grab a little of everything. Rather than use these carrots in a savory meal, I was in the mood for something sweet so these beauties made their way into a batch of muffins.
I love coffee cake muffins. Crunchy pecan streusel and cinnamon spice adds the perfect amount of flavor. Even if you’re not a fan of carrot cake or carrot bread, I highly recommend that you try these muffins. With no raisins and nothing but fresh carrots, cinnamon streusel, and my favorite coffee cake batter, even the most critical taste tester will love these muffins. Top them off with cream cheese drizzle and who could resist?!
Baked in a standard sized muffin tin, these muffins can be baked ahead of time and served for brunch. They also make the perfect morning or afternoon snack! Make sure to read the notes for tips on baking the perfect muffins.
Carrot Coffee Cake Muffins
For the muffins:
- ½ cup pecans finely chopped
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup loosely packed grated carrot patted dry
For the cream cheese drizzle:
- 2 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin-tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Cut 8 tablespoons of butter into ½ inch pieces and sprinkle evenly over flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until butter is oat-sized. Remove 1 cup of the flour-butter mixture and stir into reserved brown sugar mixture until combined to make streusel; set aside. Add baking powder and baking soda to remaining flour mixture and stir to combine.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together sour cream, egg, and vanilla. Add liquids to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Add 3/4 cup of streusel mixture to flour mixture and stir until streusel is just distributed throughout batter. Melt the remaining butter and stir into remaining streusel mixture, until streusel resembles a crumble. Gently fold carrots into batter.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups and sprinkle generously with streusel topping, crumbling with your hands to make some big chunks. Bake 22 to 24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the cream cheese drizzle:
Add the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla to a food processor. Pulse until blended together. Slowly add more milk until desired consistency is reached. Use a pastry bag to pipe the frosting onto the muffins. Serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 356, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 51mg, Sodium: 283mg, Potassium: 165mg, Carbohydrates: 47g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 29g, Protein: 3g, Vitamin A: 44.9%, Vitamin C: 0.9%, Calcium: 6.5%, Iron: 7.1%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
More muffin recipes that you will love: