Eggnog is the perfect holiday drink! This classic homemade eggnog recipe is the made with the freshest ingredients to create the best tasting eggnog that cooks in less than 15 minutes. Add some rum and make it a festive holiday eggnog cocktail.
During the winter season, I crave rich, creamy and comforting drinks. This easy homemade eggnog recipe is a traditional recipe made with egg yolks, sugar, milk, heavy cream and a few spices. Simmer the ingredients over the stove to slow cook, chill and then serve.
How to make eggnog
Homemade eggnog is a simple recipe made with a few ingredients.
- First, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
- Next, combine the milk, cream, nutmeg, cloves and salt together in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Simmer and stir.
- Temper the eggs, by whisking 1/2 cup of the egg mixture into the milk mixture. Continue slowly adding the milk until completely combined.
- Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and then whisk constantly over medium heat. Whisk until the mixture thickens but do not allow it to boil.
- Remove the liquid from the heat, stir in the vanilla and rum (if desired) and then remove the cloves. Don’t forget to remove the cloves because you definitely don’t want to eat the whole cloves.
- Allow the eggnog to cool for one hour before transferring to a pitcher for serving. Refrigerate the eggnog overnight to chill. It will taste best if it chills overnight before serving. You can store the homemade eggnog in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Eggnog with rum
You can make this eggnog recipe with or without the rum. To create the eggnog with rum, add 1/2 cup of rum before chilling in the refrigerator.
You can make another eggnog cocktail by combining the eggnog with bourbon, brandy, white or dark chocolate liquor and even tequila. Replace the rum with your favorite liquor. Try eggnog mudslides or holiday spiked eggnog.
Make an eggnog latte by replacing the milk in a latte with this homemade eggnog. Try this Bourbon Eggnog Latte for a spiked version.
This homemade eggnog recipe is a classic recipe that you will want to make again and again. Try this eggnog or one of our favorite easy holiday recipes!
Homemade Eggnog Recipe
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 whole cloves
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rum , (optional)
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl until light and fluffy.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the milk, cream, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Stir often until mixture reaches a bare simmer.
- Whisk ½ cup of the hot milk mixture slowly into the egg mixture to temper the eggs. Continue slowly adding the milk until incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and return to the stove.
- Increase temperature to medium heat, whisking constantly for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture is just slightly thickened. Do not allow it to boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and rum. Remove and discard the cloves, and allow the eggnog to cool for 1 hour before transferring it to a pitcher.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving for best taste. Store in the fridge for up to one week.
- Nutritional information does not include the optional rum.