This easy recipe for Roasted Vegetables With Feta is a healthy side dish that’s mixed with salty feta cheese and baked to perfection. Great to pair with any protein, or side dish and is friendly with a low carb lifestyle. Prep in 10 minutes!
If you’re looking for a simple and flavorful way to enjoy flavorful garden roasted vegetables, then add this one to your rotation. This side dish is simple to make and is creamy and comforting with the help of a block of oven-baked feta cheese.
You may have seen this trend on social media where a block of feta is placed in the middle of tomatoes and baked until soft and creamy when mixed through. This recipe is similar, but there are a LOT more veggies involved. We use zucchini, broccoli, tomato, onion, and bell pepper for a nutrient-dense side that’s full of healthy fiber.
You can toss these roasted veggies into pasta, salads, or even eat them on their own paired with your favorite proteins. The layers of flavor are satisfying and any leftovers can be warmed up throughout the week whenever you need a dose of veggies.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s packed with nutrient-dense vegetables.
- The feta turns it into a delicious salty Mediterranean dish.
- You can pair it with any protein or side dish.
- Great for a low-carb lifestyle.
- It’s finished in 30 minutes or less.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Zucchini & Yellow Squash – Green and yellow squash add bulk and soak up the flavors of all the vegetables and seasonings.
- Broccoli – Adds a nutrient-dense green vegetable.
- Orange Bell Pepper – Adds a fresh garden taste and crunch.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Gives the roasted vegetables a natural sweetness from fresh tomato flavor.
- Red Onion – Adds a mild onion flavor and purple color.
- Garlic – Infuses this side dish with a healthy dose of garlic.
- Olive Oil – Helps keep the vegetables tender on the inside by forming a crust on the outside.
- Feta Cheese – Adds a delicious salty bite that pairs well with the vegetables.
- Salt & Pepper – Balances and enhances the flavors in the dish.
If you like a bit of spice, add red pepper flakes to taste.
How To Make Roasted Vegetables With Feta
- Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 425 Fahrenheit and chop your vegetables. Add them to a rimmed baking sheet, and drizzle them with olive oil. Toss to fully combine.
- Prepare feta cheese: Add a block of feta cheese to the center of the baking sheet in the center of the vegetables, and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Season cheese with salt and pepper.
- Assemble & bake: Add to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Toss the vegetables but leave the feta right in the middle. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Gently stir the feta in with the vegetables until it coats everything. Serve warm.
- Make sure the oven is at 425 F for roasting. Roasting at a lower temperature will cause the vegetables to steam and not roast properly.
- Cut all the vegetables so they are roughly the same size, this will make sure they cook evenly and all at the same time.
- If you can only find crumbled feta, roast the veggies first for 15 minutes, then sprinkle crumbled feta on top before returning to the oven.
- Don’t overcrowd the vegetables in the sheet pan. Try to place them in a single layer around the cheese.
- Add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice after cooking for a bright pop of fresh flavor.
- Chop up some fresh herbs such as oregano and basil and toss into the vegetables before roasting.
- Give it a kick of heat by sprinkling in some red chili flake or cayenne pepper.
- Add your favorite vegetables such as broccolini, mushrooms, asparagus, carrots, parsnips, and cauliflower.
- Replace the feta with a block of goat cheese for a salty and tangy flavor.
- For a mild onion flavor, use shallots instead of red onion.
- Toss the vegetables in Italian or Greek seasoning for a complex herb flavor.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze for a sweet and tangy dish.
- Toss these roasted vegetables with feta into your favorite cooked pasta.
- Low carb or keto? Toss with cooked spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.
- Add any leftovers to a Tortellini Minestrone Soup.
- Serve them over a bed of rice or quinoa for a flavorful vegetable grain dish.
More Roasted Side Dishes
Roasted Vegetables with Feta
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/4" half moons
- 1 yellow squash, sliced into 1/4" half moons
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, about 3 cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces block of feta cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425F.
- Add the zucchini, squash, broccoli, bell pepper, tomatoes, and garlic to the pan. Drizzle with two teaspoons of olive oil toss to combine.
- Add the feta to the center of the pan. Drizzle the feta with the remaining teaspoon of olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. I used 1 teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- Roast in a preheated oven for 15 minutes. Stir the veggies (but not the feta) and return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- Gently stir together the feta and vegetables and serve warm. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.