This easy homemade Taco pizza is the perfect mash-up when you can’t decide between tacos or pizza. It comes together in less than 30 minutes and is a hit with kids and adults.
This recipe was originally created by Danae at Recipe Runner. It was updated with new photos and tips in December 2023.
Everyone loves taco night. Everyone loves pizza night. So combine the two and create taco pizza night!
Taco pizza is an easy weeknight meal that is family friendly. Mashed black beans are used instead of traditional pizza sauce. The beans are spread over homemade or store-bought pizza dough. Cooked ground beef and cheese is layered on topping before baking in the oven.
After the pizza comes out of the oven, top it with all of your favorite taco toppings. Enjoy this delicious taco pizza for pizza night or Taco Tuesday. Even picky eaters will love it!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Tacos + Pizza – You don’t have to choose between tacos or pizza. You can have both!
- Quick and Easy Meal – The recipe comes together in 30 minutes for an easy weeknight meal.
- Easy Modifications – You can easily adapt it to fit your needs by adjusting the type of protein and toppings. Different toppings can create different flavor.
What is Taco Pizza Made Of?
Taco pizza is a combination of a few simple ingredients including pizza dough and taco toppings. It is one of my favorite pizzas because it’s a great idea for the entire family and I generally have most or all of the ingredients on hand. You can find the exact amount of each ingredient in the recipe card below.
- Ground Beef: I use lean ground beef.
- Black Beans: Rinse and drain the black beans. Mash and use these Mexican black beans.
- Salsa: You can use fresh pico de gallo or canned salsa.
- Pizza Dough: Homemade or store bought pizza dough works. To make it completely homemade, use your favorite homemade pizza dough recipe.
- Cheese: I use a mix of Monterey Jack cheese and sharp cheddar cheese. You can also use a Mexican blend cheese.
- Seasonings: You will need chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. These seasonings help season the ground beef and black beans. You can use store bought taco seasoning mix in place of the other seasonings, if desired.
- Pizza toppings: Lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, black olives, salsa, fresh cilantro and sour cream.
Feel free to adjust the type and amount of toppings used. Other types of toppings can including chopped onion, avocado, taco sauce or hot sauce. A drizzle of ranch dressing on top of everything is also a delicious option.
How to Make Homemade Taco Pizza
This easy taco pizza recipe comes together in only a few steps. If you have leftover Seasoned Ground Turkey, this is also a great way to use it!
- Cook ground beef: Add the ground beef to a large skillet over medium high heat. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break up the beef into small crumbles. Season the beef with 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper.
You can also substitute the spices with taco seasoning to create the taco meat.
- Prepare the mashed black beans: In a bowl, use a potato masher to mash the black beans together with 1/3 cup jarred salsa, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin.
You can also use a can of refried beans instead of preparing the black beans, if desired.
- Preheat the oven: Preheat your oven to 475°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Alternatively, you can use a pizza stone.
- Make the pizza: Stretch or roll the pizza dough out onto a prepared pizza stone or baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprinkled with cornmeal (if available). Spread the mashed black beans evenly on top of the pizza dough. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the beans. Top with the crumbled cooked ground beef and the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Bake the pizza: Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Add toppings: Remove from the oven and top with your favorite taco ingredients like shredded romaine lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives, fresh cilantro and sour cream. Serve immediately.
Taco Pizza Tips and Variations
- To make this taco pizza vegetarian or vegan, omit the beef and use vegan cheese. You can also omit the cheese completely.
- To make it gluten free, use a gluten free pizza crust.
- Substitute the cooked ground beef with cooked chicken breast or shredded chicken.
- Use whole wheat pizza dough instead of traditional.
This pizza tastes great hot or cold. You can serve it right away or store it in the fridge until you are ready to serve. If you prefer to eat the pizza warm, then you can bake the pizza in advance and wait to add all of the toppings until right before serving.
Store leftovers in a sealed bag or airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
More 30 Minute Meals
Switch up your pizza night by trying this fun and easy recipe. And if you’re looking for more easy 30 minute meals, try the easy recipes below.
- Creamy Tortellini Basil Skillet
- Baked Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes
- Shrimp Stir Fry
Did you try this easy homemade taco pizza recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Homemade Taco Pizza
For the crumbled ground beef:
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and ground pepper
For the mashed black beans:
- 15 ounce (can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup jarred salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Other ingredients for the pizza:
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- chopped lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, black olives, salsa, cilantro and plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- To make the crumbled ground beef, in a large skillet over medium high heat add the ground beef. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break up the beef into small crumbles. Season the beef with the spices, salt and pepper. Cook the beef until it is done then pour it onto paper towels if there is any excess grease.
- To make the mashed black beans, in a bowl mash together all of the ingredients with a potato masher until desired consistency is reached.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Stretch or roll the pizza dough out onto a prepared pizza stone or baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprinkled with cornmeal. Spread the mashed black beans evenly on top of the pizza dough. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the beans. Top with the crumbled ground beef and the rest of the shredded cheese. Bake the pizza on the middle rack of the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and top with any or all of the listed toppings.