Tomato Basil Pasta is an easy weeknight meal that comes together in little time. Fresh basil, tomatoes, parmesan and pasta create an easy and appetizing pasta dish!
Pasta is the best comfort food. It is warm, comforting and filling. This tomato basil pasta is an easy meal that can be made in about 30 minutes. It is perfect for the weeknights when you want to cook something, but don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen.
I make this meal quite often because it is one of my go-to meals when I want to clean out the pantry and use up vegetables from the garden. Summer brings an excess of basil so I often find myself adding it to anything and everything. I also just love to leave bunches sitting in a vase on my kitchen counter. The scent of basil is actually one of my favorite scents. And the flavor is crisp, bold and aromatic.
For this particular meal, I used gnocchi pasta but I usually just use whatever I have available. I also like to serve this easy tomato basil pasta dish with tortellini pasta. It is an easy, versatile and flavorful dish perfect for any time of the year.
Easy Tomato Basil Pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound pasta
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat oil until it starts to shimmer. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato paste, red pepper flakes, and crushed tomatoes. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Add wine and cook, stirring frequently, until about 3/4 of liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- Stir in cream and parmesan cheese. Add more water, if necessary to adjust the consistency of the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add sauce to cooked pasta. Stir in basil and serve with additional parmesan cheese.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 634, Fat: 21g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 46mg, Sodium: 178mg, Potassium: 375mg, Carbohydrates: 88g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 18g, Vitamin A: 15.4%, Vitamin C: 3.3%, Calcium: 12.3%, Iron: 10.4%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Source: Spoonful of Flavor