Chocolate Pot de Creme is a simple French custard dessert recipe made with only a few ingredients! This recipe takes less than 15 minutes to prep and makings five servings.
Chocolate desserts are irresistible! Almost everyone loves chocolate so chocolate desserts are our go-to dessert. These easy Chocolate Pots de Creme are made with only a few simple ingredients and take less than 15 minutes to prep. Pop them in the fridge for two hours to chill and then enjoy a delectable dessert for everyone.
If you’re looking for another simple dessert, try our easy Vanilla Mug Cake!
How to make Chocolate Pot de Creme
This perfect little chocolate dessert comes together easily.
- First, add the chopped chocolate to a blender.
- Next, combine the milk, cream, egg yolks, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Cook until thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Carefully pour the warm mixture over the chocolate in the blender. Blend and divide the mixture between small ramekins or cups. Refrigerate until set and serve with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Tips for making pot de creme
- Use high quality chocolate. We recommend using a high quality chocolate bar from the baking section, as opposed to chocolate chips.
- Use caution when pouring the warm mixture into the blender. Also use caution when turning the blender on because the contents will be very hot.
- Use store-bought whipped cream or make your own whipped cream topping with only two ingredients – heavy cream and confectioners’ sugar.
- Serve the chocolate dessert cups with fresh berries or a mint sprig.
We love chocolate! Chocolate desserts are completely irresistible. We know that you’re going to love these Chocolate Pots de Creme and we hope that you try one of our other favorite chocolate dessert recipes below.
- Peanut butter stuffed chocolate cookies – a winning flavor combination that everyone loves!
- Double chocolate chip cookies – double the chocolate means double the flavor!
- Chocolate cheesecake bars – because who doesn’t love cheesecake?
- Flourless chocolate cake – a classic cake that is naturally gluten free.
- Homemade hot chocolate – this dessert in drink form is perfect for the colder weather.
- Mug brownie – a brownie bakes in a mug in the microwave in less than 5 minutes!
What is your favorite chocolate dessert? We love these Pots de Creme and know that you will too. Try them and let us know what you think!
Chocolate Pot de Creme
- 6 ounces high quality semi-sweet chocolate, chopped*
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the whipped cream topping:
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Optional chocolate shavings, for serving
- Add the chopped chocolate to the blender.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, whisk together the milk, cream, egg yolks, sugar and salt. Cook, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula until the mixture is thickened and almost boiling, about 6 to 8 minutes. The mixture should be thick enough to coat the back of a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the warm mixture over the chocolate in the blender. Let rest 2 minutes to allow the chocolate to melt.
- Cover and hold the lid with a thick kitchen towel. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Divide the chocolate mixture between 4 to 5 ramekins or small cups. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate, if desired.
- To make the whipped cream, whisk the heavy cream in a large mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Use a bar of high quality chocolate from the baking section, not chocolate chips.
- Store the cups in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.