Coconut Chicken Curry is a simple meal made with fresh flavors in less than 25 minutes! Serve it with rice or cauliflower rice for a tasty lunch or dinner any day of the week.
Curries are one of the easiest and quickest dishes to make at home. Coconut Chicken Curry is one of our favorite weeknight meals. Creamy coconut, chicken and fresh veggies combine to create an intensely flavorful meal the entire family with love. Best of all, the entire dish is ready in less than 30 minutes!
We love easy 30 minute meals! Italian turkey meatballs, shrimp stir fry and sweet potato and black bean quinoa bowls are a few 30 minute meals that make it onto our dinner table often. We also love to add this easy chicken curry to our dinner rotation because it’s made with fresh vegetables, creamy coconut sauce and a few spices.
How to make curry chicken
To make coconut chicken curry, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped chicken breast pieces to the pan with curry powder. Toss and cook until the chicken is heated through, about 8 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
In the same pan, add additional oil if needed. Add snow peas, onions and red pepper. Sauté the vegetables until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and fresh ginger and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Add the coconut milk and curry paste. Stir in the cooked chicken and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve the chicken curry warm over rice or cauliflower rice. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Chicken curry with coconut milk tips
- Use full fat coconut milk for the best flavor and thickness of the sauce. Reduced fat coconut milk tastes great too.
- Switch out one of the vegetables for another vegetable like broccoli or cauliflower, if desired.
- Add one or two additional tablespoons of curry paste for more heat (spice). We use two or three tablespoons to start because it’s the perfect amount of flavor without being too spicy. You can also add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes if you love it spicy.
- This meal is great for meal prep. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days and reheat prior to serving.
- To keep it low carb, serve it with cauliflower rice. We also love cooking brown rice in the Instant pot to serve with this chicken curry.
Coconut Chicken Curry
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound),, cut into small bite size pieces
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 14 ounce can of coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- cilantro, for garnish
- optional: cooked white rice
- In a medium saucepan over medium-heat add peanut oil. Toss the chicken with the curry powder and sauté until cooked, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add an additional teaspoon of oil, if needed. Add snow peas, onions, and red pepper and saute over medium-high heat until veggies are tender, 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and fresh ginger and cook another minute, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add coconut milk and red curry paste. Stir in cooked chicken. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over warm rice and garnish with cilantro.
- Add additional curry paste for a spicier curry, if desired.
- Serve with cooked rice or cauliflower rice for gluten free / low carb version.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat just prior to serving.