Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Bowl is a delectable mix of teriyaki chicken, cilantro rice, grilled vegetables and pineapple! Kids and adults will love that they are flavorful, easy and healthy.
The perfect dinner is something quick, healthy and easy. This rice bowl combines fresh seasonal flavors with cilantro rice to create a meal that kids and adults will love. You can even save time by using store-bought teriyaki sauce and prep the vegetables or rice in advance.
Save time and chop the vegetables and pineapple the night before and marinate the chicken. When you are ready to make dinner, everything is already prepped. You can even make the rice a day or two in advance and reheat just prior to serving. Feel free to adapt the ingredients in this chicken teriyaki bowl to fit your taste.
- Teriyaki marinade
- Rice or Quinoa – try Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Bell pepper
How to make a chicken teriyaki bowl
- Marinate the chicken. Use a teriyaki chicken marinade and marinate for at least thirty minutes. You can use store bought teriyaki sauce to save time.
- Prep the cilantro lime rice. Cook rice and add fresh cilantro and lime juice. You can use quinoa instead of rice.
- Prepare the peppers and onions for grilling. Add the vegetables to a foil packet with olive oil, salt and pepper. You can also use a grilling basket to grill the vegetables.
- Grill chicken, foil packets, zucchini and pineapple.
- Arrange the bowls. Layer the chicken, contents of the vegetable packets, pineapple and zucchini over the rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and additional teriyaki sauce, if desired.
Other grain bowl recipes
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quinoa Bowls
- Banh Mi Rice Bowl
- Shrimp Quinoa Bowls
- Veggie Burrito Bowl
- Chicken Taco Bowl
These bowls are filling, flavorful and delicious. Enjoy them for dinner any day of the week or anytime of the year. Try this recipe and let us know what you think!
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch , or 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- dash of salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion , chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 4 slices pineapple
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, ginger, rice vinegar and sesame oil. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth then whisk into the sauce mixture until combined. Remove one-fourth cup teriyaki sauce and set aside for serving. Add the chicken to the bowl with the remaining teriyaki sauce and marinate in the refrigerator for at least thirty minutes.
- To make the cilantro lime rice, in a medium saucepan bring two cups of water to a boil. Add rice and a dash of salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for fifteen minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Cut two large pieces of aluminum foil. Divide the red bell pepper and red onion between the two pieces, drizzle with one teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pull the short sides up and roll them down over each other, then fold over each end to seal and create a packet.
- Prepare grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Brush and oil the grill grate.
- Place the marinated chicken and the vegetable packets on the grill directly over the fire. Cook chicken until the juices run clear and the chicken is cooked through, about five to eight minutes on each side. Cook vegetable packets until done, about fifteen to twenty minutes. While the chicken and vegetable packets are cooking, brush zucchini with remaining olive oil and then arrange the sliced zucchini and pineapple on the grill. Cook for two minutes on each side.
- To arrange the bowls, divide rice between two bowls. Layer each with one piece of chicken, contents of one vegetable packet (be careful opening the foil packets because they will release steam), two slices of pineapple and zucchini. Garnish chicken with sesame seeds and serve with additional teriyaki sauce, as desired. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Use store bought teriyaki sauce to save time.
- Use quinoa instead of rice, if desired.
This recipe was originally published on Super Healthy Kids in 2016. Recipe updated in June 2020.