Roasted beet and orange salad is a nutritious and delicious meal! Roasted beets and fresh oranges are layered over a bed of arugula and topped with goat cheese, walnuts and citrus vinaigrette dressing!
Just beet it, beet it, beet it, beet it! No one wants to be defeated!
Don’t worry, you won’t be hearing any actual singing from me any time soon. But I am sharing my favorite beet salad with you today. This salad combines roasted beets and fresh seasonal oranges with arugula, goat cheese, walnuts and citrus vinaigrette.
Roasting beets yields a buttery sweet flavor. I love any excuse to roast beets. Plus, I love walking around the house singing Michael Jackson songs. I swear, they are just as catchy as Taylor Swift songs. Did I just say that? Sometimes I am embarrassed to admit that Taylor Swift’s songs are really catchy and I’m totally this guy. On some days a good jam session in the car is exactly what I need.
Roasted beet with orange salad is one of my favorite seasonal meals. Vibrant, colorful and full of vitamins, beets are a versatile ingredient. Simple flavors combine to create a refreshing and delicious salad. If you tried beets in the past and didn’t like them, I encourage you to try them roasted. Roasting brings out the sweet beet flavor.
Here are a few tips for cooking with beets:
- Select small to medium sized beets that are round and firm with fresh green foliage. The smaller beets are the most flavorful.
- Use gloves to protect your hands from stain when peeling and slicing. Trust me on this one. Don’t underestimate the ability of beets to stain your hands. I love this peeler.
- Roast beets to yield a sweeter flavor.
- Save the greens and cook them too.
The best seasonal flavors combine to create a healthy, colorful and flavorful salad!
Roasted Beet and Orange Salad
For the beets:
- 6 medium sized beets red and yellow
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping cups arugula
- 3 oranges peeled and cut into wedges
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup goat cheese crumbles
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler and slice into two inch pieces. Line a baking pan with two pieces of aluminum foil. Place the red beets in the middle of one sheet of foil and the yellow beets on the other. Drizzle one tablespoon olive oil over each sheet of beets. Fold up edges and pinch to close and form two pouches. I don't want colors to bleed so I make two separate pouches. Place on baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender.
- While the beets are roasting, prepare the dressing by whisking together the orange juice, olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, and honey.
- Once beets are done roasting, mix them together with half of the salad dressing. You can mix two separate bowls to prevent the colors from bleeding. Layer arugula on plate or bowl then top with beets, orange wedges, walnuts and goat cheese. Drizzle with remaining dressing, as desired. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationCalories: 964, Fat: 72g, Saturated Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 26mg, Sodium: 411mg, Potassium: 1426mg, Carbohydrates: 65g, Fiber: 13g, Sugar: 49g, Protein: 21g, Vitamin A: 1635%, Vitamin C: 132.3%, Calcium: 258%, Iron: 4.6%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Other Seasonal Salad Recipes: