Bake spinach chicken parmesan meatballs in a creamy tomato sauce to create a meal that everyone will love! Fresh baby spinach, parmesan cheese and fresh herbs add the perfect amount of flavor to make these baked ground chicken meatballs. Baked chicken meatballs are great for appetizer or dinner.
Thank you to organicgirl for sponsoring this post!
Everyone loves easy meals for dinner. Homemade ground chicken meatballs baked in tomato sauce and filled with spinach creates a simple weeknight meal that the entire family will love. The meatballs are great for meal prep and leftovers too. Try some of our other favorite easy skillet dinners with greens for more dinner recipes packed with leafy greens!
organic girl baby spinach
Stock your refrigerator with leafy greens and challenge yourself to each greens every single day. Adding spinach, kale, arugula and other greens to your diet is very important. Organicgirl greens are available year round and are the perfect addition to any meal. Best of all, organicgirl offers a variety of greens so you are never bored! With so many options, it’s easy to add greens to every single meal.
Add a few heaping handfuls of organicgirl baby spinach into meals to add extra nutrients. Baby spinach is rich in antioxidants beta carotene, vitamins A and C, and is an excellent source of folate and vitamin K. It’s versatile and packed with wholesome flavor. Even if you don’t love salad, there are endless ways to incorporate leafy greens into your diet. We love using organicgirl greens in everything including Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Pasta and Superfood Double Chocolate Muffins! For this meal, coarsely chop the spinach into smaller pieces and mix into the meatball mixture. Once you add spinach to meatballs, you won’t want to eat them any other way.
How to make chicken parmesan meatballs
To make chicken parmesan meatballs, combine ground chicken, spinach, bread crumbs, onion, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic and egg in a large bowl. Stir the mixture together with a fork then knead gently with your hands until evenly combined. Form the mixture into meatballs about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
In a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil and meatballs in a single layer. Let cook, turning occasionally until all sides are browned. Place the meatballs in a pan with tomato sauce or directly in the oven. Bake until the meatballs are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Baked chicken meatballs in tomato sauce
Bake these chicken meatballs in homemade tomato sauce. To make the sauce, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes and mix until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the crushed tomatoes to the pan, stir, lower heat and simmer about 8 minutes. Stir in heavy cream, if desired. Place meatballs in the sauce prior to baking and top with mozzarella cheese, if desired.
Other ground chicken meatball recipes
- For a saucy meatball with a healthy slaw, try Asian Chicken Meatball Lettuce Wraps with Mango Slaw! They are packed with flavor and served with organicgirl butter greens for a healthy crunch.
- Rosemary Turkey Meatballs with Cranberry Balsamic Sauce are the perfect party cocktail or appetizer!
- If you’re cravings meatballs that taste like wings, try these Buffalo Chicken and Blue Cheese Stuffed Meatballs.
Challenge yourself everyday to add fresh greens to your diet. It is easier than you think and delicious too. Store any leftover meatballs in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Reheat them the next day as leftovers or create a meatball sub with fresh bread.
Make these meatballs, share a photo on Instagram and tag #EatGreensDaily and @spoonfulflavor!
Spinach Chicken Parmesan Meatballs in Creamy Tomato Sauce
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
For the meatballs:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 3 ounces organicgirl baby spinach, chopped into small pieces
- 1/3 cup dried panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella
- minced fresh basil, for garnish
To make the sauce:
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes and mix until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the crushed tomatoes, stir, lower heat to simmer and cook about 6 to 8 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the cream.
To make the meatballs:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, spinach, bread crumbs, onion, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic and egg. Stir together with a fork then knead gently with your hands until evenly combined. Form the mixture into meatballs about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Heat olive oil in another medium or large skillet pan over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs to the pan in a single layer. Let cook, turning occasionally, until all sides are browned. (They will not be cooked all the way through because they will finish cooking when baked.) Place the meatballs in the pan with the tomato sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella and remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese over the top. Bake until the cheese is melted and the meatballs are cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven, garnish with fresh basil and serve.
DON’T FORGET TO LEAVE A REVIEW BELOW AND THEN SHARE A PHOTO AND TAG @SPOONFULFLAVOR ON INSTAGRAM.
This post was created in partnership with organicgirl. As always, all opinions are my own.