Braised Baby Red Potatoes recipe is made with a few simple ingredients to create an easy side dish that everyone loves! If you’re looking for a tasty and easy red potatoes recipe, this one is ready in less than 30 minutes.
If you’re looking for an easy way to cook red potatoes, then this recipe is perfect for you! We love this method of cooking baby red potatoes because it yields potatoes that are creamy and smooth on the side but nice and crispy on the outside. Braise the potatoes with some lemon and chives and create a delectable side dish that is perfect for serving with Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Drumsticks or Lemon Garlic Shrimp. Also serve it with some Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower for a complete meal packed with healthy ingredients and fresh flavor!
Cooking red potatoes
There are a few different ways to cook baby red potatoes. We love to make Garlic Red Mashed Potatoes with them or simple braise them in a skillet. You can also roast red potatoes.
Baby red potatoes recipe
To make braised red potatoes, arrange halved baby red potatoes in a single layer, cut side down in a 12-inch nonstick skillet. Add water, butter, garlic, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to the heat to medium, cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Remove the lid and remove the garlic. Discard the thyme. Increase the heat to medium-high and simmer until water evaporates and the butter starts to sizzle. This takes about 15 to 20 minutes. Swirl the pan occasionally. Cook until the butter browns and the cut sides of the potatoes turn spotty brown, about 5 more minutes.
Once the garlic is cool, mince it into paste. Add the garlic paste to a bowl and stir in lemon juice and pepper. Turn off the heat of the pan, add the garlic mixture and chives and toss to coat well.
We know that you’re going to love this recipe! It’s made with a few fresh and simple ingredients to create a tasty side dish.
Red potato recipes
- Mashed Red Potatoes – a classic recipe made with garlic and chives.
- Roasted Red Potato Salad – made with corn and bacon, this one is perfect for summer!
- Parmesan Pesto Roasted Potatoes – coated with a delectable pesto sauce.
- Cheesy Roasted Red Potatoes – a simple recipe made with mozzarella cheese!
Braised Red Potatoes with Lemon and Chives
- 1 ½ pounds baby red potatoes halved
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 3 springs fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Arrange potatoes in single layer, cut side down, in 12-inch nonstick skillet. Add water, butter, garlic, thyme, and salt and bring to simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and use slotted spoon to transfer garlic to a cutting board; discard thyme. Increase heat to medium-high and vigorously simmer, swirling pan occasionally, until water evaporates and butter starts to sizzle, 15 to 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, mince garlic to paste. Transfer paste to bowl and stir in lemon juice and pepper.
- Continue to cook potatoes, swirling pan frequently, until butter browns and cut sides of potatoes turn spotty brown, 4 to 6 minutes longer. Turn off heat, add garlic mixture and chives and toss to coat.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat leftovers or eat cold.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 200, Fat: 8.8g, Cholesterol: 23.3mg, Sodium: 272.3mg, Potassium: 792.6mg, Carbohydrates: 28g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 2.9g, Protein: 3.5g
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.