Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is a low-carb, healthy take on your favorite comfort food that the whole family will enjoy. The casserole is creamy, cheesy and the perfect side dish for dinner or the holidays.
I don’t know what it is, but around this time of year I just start craving hearty comfort foods for dinner. There’s something about a cheesy casserole that I just love during the fall and winter seasons. The one bad thing about craving all these hearty dishes is that if you’re not careful, they can be filled with tons extra calories and extra carbs. So I do my best to try and lighten them up to make them low-carb or swap out ingredients for a healthier take on comfort food favorites so we can still “indulge” this time of year. Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole is low carb, cheesy and the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving dinner, dinner parties or weeknight meals.
How do you make broccoli and cauliflower casserole?
Broccoli and cauliflower casserole is easy to make. Blanch broccoli and cauliflower in boiling water for one minute. Make the cheesy sauce by combining butter, garlic, cream cheese, heavy cream, mustard, salt, pepper and cheese in a skillet. Stir until cheese is melted, then stir in the broccoli and cauliflower. Pour into a buttered casserole dish and top with additional cheese. Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes at 400 degrees F.
How do you make broccoli and cauliflower casserole low carb?
If you are looking for a low carb side dish then broccoli and cauliflower casserole is the perfect choice. Low carb broccoli cauliflower casserole is made with all of the flavors you love but without breadcrumbs to make it low carb. Low carb broccoli cauliflower casserole is great if you are trying to live a keto lifestyle too.
I love this recipe because it has those same flavors that my favorite broccoli and rice casseroles without all the extra carbs. Make this recipe at the beginning of the week and save for lunches or dinners throughout the rest!
Easy side dish recipes:
- Brown Butter and Rosemary Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Apple Cranberry Sauce with Orange and Ginger
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Beet, Apple and Quinoa Salad
- Balsamic Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate
Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or ghee
- 1 medium onion,, diced
- 2 cloves garlic,, minced
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cubed, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces shredded white cheddar cheese,, divided
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter an 8x8 casserole dish and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil; add the broccoli and cauliflower and blanch for 1 minute, then drain well.
- Melt butter in a deep skillet over medium heat. Saute onion 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic.
- Stir in the cream cheese until melted, and then stir in the heavy cream, mustard, salt, pepper, half of the cheddar, and the mozzarella. Once the cheese is melted, stir in the broccoli & cauliflower.
- Pour the contents into the prepared dish and top with the remaining cheddar. Bake uncovered 20-25 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and golden.
SHOP THE RECIPE TOOLS & INGREDIENTS
STOCKPOT (SAVE $25 OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER)
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, DON’T FORGET TO SHARE A PHOTO AND TAG @SPOONFULFLAVOR ON INSTAGRAM.