Chicken Broccoli Cheese Wild Rice Casserole is a healthy casserole the whole family will love! It can be made ahead of time and is perfect for busy nights.
Hi everyone, Danae from Recipe Runner here. To keep me from stressing out about dinner, we try to make healthy dinners that can be assembled in advance. We love popping them into the oven on days where we don’t have a lot of time to cook. This Broccoli, Chicken and Cheese Wild Rice Casserole is one of those dinners. Prep it in advance and then cook it during the week or on busy nights when you want to save time. It’s even the perfect addition to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Healthy chicken and rice casserole
On top of being an easy dinner that can be made ahead of time, this Broccoli, Chicken and Cheese Wild Rice Casserole is healthier than most casseroles. We use whole grain wild rice instead of white rice. Wild rice is more filling than white rice and is packed with nutrients.
We also skip condensed soups and heavy cream in favor of Greek yogurt. The yogurt adds a wonderful creaminess to this casserole without any guilt. Plus, less guilt means you can add a little extra cheese too.
How to make chicken broccoli cheese rice casserole
Making the casserole requires a few fresh ingredients and only a few steps.
- First, steam the broccoli and cook the rice.
- Next, cook the chicken.
- Prepare the sauce in a skillet by combining the butter, milk, cheese and Greek yogurt. Add the chicken, broccoli and wild rice back to the sauce and stir.
- Pour everything into a prepared casserole dish and top with additional shredded cheese. Bake and enjoy!
Do you have to cook rice before putting it in a casserole?
Yes, you must cook the rice before putting it into the casserole. Save time by preparing the rice in advance and store in the refrigerator or freezer until you’re ready to use. If you want to use brown rice instead of wild rice in this recipe, try our Instant Pot Brown Rice.
Can I freeze chicken broccoli casserole?
To freeze chicken broccoli casserole, you must store it in a freezer safe container. Remove it from the freezer and allow it to thaw for at least 24 hours before reheating.
This casserole is the perfect meal prep dish. Prepare it in advance and store in the refrigerator for up to two days. Then when you’re ready for dinner, all you have to do is stick it in the oven and bake it until it’s bubbly and the cheese is melted. Kids and adults love this casserole. It’s the perfect dinner party dish or side for the holidays.
Other casserole recipes
- Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole – a low carb, vegetarian side dish.
- Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Casserole – a healthy gluten free casserole everyone loves.
- Cheesy Potato Casserole – a lightened up version of my favorite holiday side dish.
- Turkey Enchiladas – a classic casserole made with ground turkey, cheese and a few other ingredients.
- Chile Rellenos Casserole – this easy casserole is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Broccoli, Chicken and Cheese Wild Rice Casserole
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 3/4 pound chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- Cook the wild rice according to package instructions.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 2 quart casserole dish (or similar size) with cooking oil. Set aside.
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot add in the broccoli florets and sauté for 1 minute. Add in 1/4 cup of water and cover with a lid. Let the broccoli steam for approximately 3 minutes then remove it from the skillet onto a plate.
Return the skillet to the stove and spray with cooking oil. Add in the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add in the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Sauté the chicken until it is cooked through then remove the mixture from the skillet and onto the plate with the broccoli.
Lower the heat to medium and melt the butter in the skillet. Whisk in the flour, let it cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk until the flour mixture is dissolved and the sauce starts to thicken. Season with salt and pepper and continue to whisk until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Add in the cheese, reserving 1/4 cup and whisk until melted and smooth. Remove the skillet from the heat and whisk in the Greek yogurt. Add the chicken, broccoli and wild rice to the sauce and stir together until everything is combined.
Pour into the prepared casserole dish and top with the remaining shredded cheese. Cover loosely with foil and bake for approximately 20-30 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- The wild rice can be made in advance, cooled and stored flat in a freezer bag and frozen until ready to use. Prepping the rice in advance will save you an hour of cooking time.
- The casserole can be made a couple days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. It may need a little longer cooking time if you are baking it cold straight from the refrigerator.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 325, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 69mg, Sodium: 204mg, Potassium: 539mg, Carbohydrates: 28g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 25g, Vitamin A: 555%, Vitamin C: 28.9%, Calcium: 269%, Iron: 1.1%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Connect with Danae: