Buffalo Cauliflower Bites are a buffalo wing alternative that is both naturally vegan and gluten-free. These tasty cauliflower buffalo wings come together in 30 minutes or less and make a great appetizer, snack, or game-day food.
Have you tried buffalo cauliflower bites? They are a delicious alternative to chicken wings and come together easily. This buffalo cauliflower recipe is a naturally vegan version of buffalo chicken wings and are super easy to make.
Cauliflower has a similar texture to chicken wings when roasted and soaks up any flavor that is added. For this recipe, cauliflower is tossed in a mix of seasonings and all-purpose flour or chickpea flour. They are roasted until nice and crispy.
The roasted cauliflower gets tossed in buffalo sauce which transforms it into a delicious party snack.
Serve these spicy cauliflower bites at your next party or game day gathering and you’ll be sure to please vegans, vegetarians, and meat-eaters alike!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- You can control how spicy they are by adding more or less sauce.
- Roasted cauliflower has a similar texture to chicken that soaks up buffalo flavor well.
- They can be served at a party or as a healthy snack or side dish.
- It’s suitable for any lifestyle – they are vegan, vegetarian and gluten free.
Ingredients You Need
- Cauliflower Florets – One head cauliflower is cut into bite-sized florets making up the main portion of this appetizer.
- Flour – You can use all-purpose flour, gluten free all purpose flour or chickpea flour.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Helps the seasoning stick to the cauliflower and also helps the cauliflower roast properly in the oven.
- Salt – Just a pinch of salt is all you need to bring out the flavor in the cauliflower and seasonings.
- Garlic & Onion Powder – Infuses the cauliflower coating with garlic and onion flavor that pairs well with buffalo sauce.
- Hot Sauce – Use a buffalo wing sauce or hot sauce such as Frank’s Red Hot to coat the cauliflower in after roasting.
- Refined Coconut Oil or Melted Butter – The oil or butter helps to create a smooth sauce on the baked cauliflower.
- Ranch Dressing or Blue Cheese Dressing (for serving) – This is optional, but who doesn’t love dipping wings in ranch or blue cheese. You can use a vegan ranch to make this recipe vegan.
How to Make Buffalo Cauliflower in the Oven
- Prepare for baking: Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set it aside.
- Assemble the flour coating: Add the flour, water, olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and onion flour into a large bowl. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes so the moisture absorbs into the flour properly.
- Roast the cauliflower: Add the chopped florets to the bowl with the flour mixture and toss to combine. Remove each floret with a slotted spoon being sure to remove any excess flour mixture. Place on the prepared baking pan in a single layer and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the cauliflower is brown around the edges.
- Assemble the hot sauce mixture: While the cauliflower roasts, add the hot sauce and coconut oil or melted butter to a bowl and whisk to combine fully.
- Assemble the cauliflower bites: Immediately add the roasted cauliflower to the bowl with the sauce and toss to fully combine. Serve hot with ranch or blue cheese sauce for dipping.
Air Fryer Instructions
To cook cauliflower buffalo bites in the air fryer, place the cauliflower coated in flour in a single layer in the bottom of your air fryer basket. Cook for 7 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Flip them halfway through cooking. Remove them from the air fryer and toss in the buffalo sauce mixture before serving.
- Use refined coconut oil. Refined coconut oil has a neutral flavor whereas unrefined tastes of coconut. Make sure to use refined for this recipe otherwise the buffalo sauce will have a distinct coconut flavor to it. Melted ghee or butter can be used as a non-vegan alternative.
- Chop cauliflower into roughly the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Adjust the flavor. If you want a milder buffalo flavor, use less hot sauce in the coating. Conversely, if you want them extra spicy, add more. A pinch of cayenne pepper can be added to the sauce mixture for additional spice.
- Roasting time will vary depending on the size of your cauliflower florets. To test, pierce with a knife or fork to check the inside. It should be soft and easily pierced.
- Toss the cauliflower with the buffalo sauce mixture while hot. The cauliflower should be tossed with the sauce immediately while hot for the best flavor.
- Allow the flour mixture to rest. This ensures that it absorbs the water which results in crispier buffalo cauliflower wings.
- For gluten-free option, all-purpose gluten free flour can be used, or chickpea flour.
- Add cheese for more flavor. Top buffalo cauliflower bites with parmesan cheese for more flavor and added crunch. For vegan bites, you can use a vegan Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast.
- Serve with sauce! Add a side of ranch or additional buffalo sauce for dipping. Don’t forget the celery sticks and carrots!
If your buffalo cauliflower bites are soggy, it’s likely because they were not tossed with the sauce while hot. Be sure to add them to the bowl with the sauce as soon as they come out of the oven so that they stay nice and crispy.
The number of carbs in these cauliflower bites will depend on the individual ingredients and flour used. Check your labels for the most accurate nutritional information.
These buffalo cauliflower wings are the perfect dinner or snack any time. These vegan wings are perfect for game day and holidays. Because they come together easily, they are also the perfect addition to any weeknight meal. Dip them in ranch or blue cheese dressing for the ultimate snack!
If you love cauliflower, try our Sweet and Sour Cauliflower recipe!
Did you try this buffalo cauliflower bites recipe? Leave a recipe review and rating below.
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour, or gluten free flour or chickpea flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup hot sauce, (such as Frank's Red Hot)
- 1 tablespoon melted refined coconut oil, or melted butter
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, water, olive oil, salt, garlic powder and onion powder until smooth. Set aside and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Once oven is preheated, toss the cauliflower florets in the flour mixture until coated. Remove with a slotted spoon, shaking off any excess batter and spread out on the baking sheet in an even layer.
- Roast until crispy and golden brown around the edges, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- While cauliflower roasts, whisk together the hot sauce and coconut oil in a large bowl.
- Once the cauliflower is out of the oven, immediately add it to the bowl with the hot sauce. Toss to coat, plate and serve while hot.
Hellooooooo delicious! These finely little bites of cauliflower are perfection! Thanks for the recipe!
This was such a hit! Thank you for this awesome recipe.