Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes are made with a classic chocolate cake stuffed with peanut butter cups and topped with a creamy peanut butter cream cheese frosting! Kids and adults love this sweet treat.
These delicious chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting are one of the best cupcakes recipes. They are stuffed with peanut butter and topped with a Reese’s peanut butter cup. Bake them for a special occasion or dessert any day of the week.
Ingredients You’ll Need
A few notes about ingredients:
- Use CREAMY peanut butter for the best texture.
- Standard unsweetened cocoa powder works great. If you use dark cocoa powder, it may change the flavor of the cupcakes as it creates a richer flavor and darker color.
- You can use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
Steps to Make the Cupcakes:
Step 1: Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Step 2: Combine the sour cream, milk and vanilla extract in a liquid measuring cup. You can use plain Greek yogurt instead of the sour cream, if desired.
Step 3: Cream together the butter and sugar with a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer. Cream until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs and blend.
Step 4: Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the sour cream mixture. Mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
To Make the Filling:
Combine the ingredients for the filling until smooth. Use a spoon to scoop out the mixture and then roll into 1-inch balls.
Spoon two tablespoons into the bottom of each cupcake liner. Place a ball of the peanut butter filling in each cupcake liner, then top with the remaining batter before baking.
To Make the Frosting:
Mix together the ingredients for the frosting until smooth. Pipe onto the cupcakes using a large closed star tip.
Top each cupcake with a mini Reese’s peanut butter cup for additional sweetness.
Other Cupcake Recipes:
- Churro Cupcakes
- Strawberry Cupcakes
- Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- Cannoli Cupcakes
- Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
- Apple Pie Cupcakes
Cupcakes are an impressive treat that everyone loves. Combine chocolate and peanut butter to make a delicious sweet treat. Try them and let us know what you think!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
For the filling:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 16 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- To make the cupcake batter, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk and set aside. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the sour cream, milk and vanilla extract. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just until incorporated. Set aside.
- To make the filling, combine the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract in a bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Using your hands, roll the mixture into 1-inch balls (at least 20).
- Spoon one or two tablespoons of the batter into the bottom of each cupcake liner. Place a ball of the peanut butter filling in each cupcake liner and top with the remaining batter so that all the cups are filled. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese, butter and peanut butter until smooth. Beat mixture until smooth and well blended. Pipe as desired onto each cupcake.
- Store the cupcakes at room temperature for up to 2 hours, or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Peanut Butter: Use creamy peanut butter for the best texture.
- Cocoa Powder: Standard unsweetened cocoa powder works great. If you use dark cocoa powder, it may change the flavor of the cupcakes as it creates a richer flavor and darker color.
- Sour Cream: You can use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
- We use a large closed star tip for piping frosting onto cupcakes.
- Store the cupcakes at room temperature for up to 2 hours, or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Remove from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving to allow them to come to room temperature.
This post was originally published in March 2013, but was updated with new photos, information and process shots in August 2020.
You had me at stuffed peanut butter cups. This recipe is at the top of the list of things to bake.
Loving that these are homemade! The chocolate and peanut butter go so well together!