Cinnamon Spice Pepitas are an easy and healthy snack. Combine a few ingredients and roast for 5 minutes and you have roasted pepitas ready in less than 10 minutes!
We are always looking for healthy crunchy snacks that we can take on-the-go. We combine maple syrup, cinnamon, salt and a pinch of cayenne with raw shelled pumpkin seeds to create this easy roasted pepitas recipe. This healthy snack is made in less than 10 minutes and is perfect for snacking or using as a garnish for your favorite fall recipes.
What are pepitas?
Pepitas are pumpkin seeds, but they are not the type of pumpkin seeds that you would scoop out of a pumpkin that you buy at the store. They are a seed that comes from hull-less pumpkin varieties like Styrian or Oil Seed Pumpkins. They don’t have a shell and grow shell-free inside the hull-less pumpkin varieties.
What is the difference between pumpkin seeds and pepitas?
Yes, pepitas and pumpkin seeds are technically the same thing, since they come from pumpkins. But, they only come from select pumpkin varieties, not the standard orange pumpkins you buy at the store or farmer’s market.
When roasting, you can substitute one for the other.
Roasted pepitas recipe
Roasted pepitas are easy to make. Combine raw shelled pumpkin seeds, maple syrup, ground cinnamon, salt and cayenne in a large bowl. Toss until seeds are well coated. Spread the seeds on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 6 minutes, tossing once halfway through. Let them cool completely.
Pepitas are packed with nutrients. They are low calorie and high in protein. They are also filled with beneficial vitamins and minerals like iron, zinc, manganese, phosphorous and magnesium.
How to eat pepitas
We like to grab a handful and eat them as a snack, but you can also add them to yogurt parfaits, trail mix, smoothies, or anything else. We love including them on a cheese or charcuterie board and they are perfect for serving as a snack at holiday parties. You can even package them nicely and give as a holiday gift.
Roasted pepitas are the perfect garnish. They add a crunchy texture and flavor. A few of our favorite recipes featuring the roasted pumpkin seeds are below.
- Roasted autumn squash soup
- Pumpkin oatmeal
- Healthier Starbucks pumpkin bread
- Pumpkin cheesecake
- Roasted butternut squash soup
Cinnamon Spice Pepitas
- 1 1/2 cups raw shelled pumpkin seeds, (pepitas)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- pinch of cayenne
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss all of the ingredients together until combined. Spread seeds on baking sheet in an even layer. Roast in oven for 6 minutes, tossing once half way through. Let cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- This recipe makes 1 1/2 cups. The nutritional information is provided for 1/2 cup.
- We recommend using raw no shell pumpkin seeds (ie: pepitas), however you can also use standard pumpkin seeds with the white husk. Nutritional information and flavor make vary.
- Store the seeds in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.