Spanish Chicken and Rice is made with fresh veggies and spices! Also known as Arroz Con Pollo, this meal is one that the entire family with love!
Did you know that there are only 11 more days until the official first day of spring? The weather forecast here for the next 10 days already signals the arrival of spring. We had a taste of the beautiful weather this weekend and I can’t wait for more to come. Eighty-degree weather is here to stay, hopefully!
This year, spring snuck up on me. Last I recall, we just entered the new year. By March, my spring garden is usually planted. But because I am a little behind this year, I haven’t quite planted anything in my garden. I’m looking forward to prepping our raised bed garden and planting seeds this weekend. I’m already anxiously awaiting the arrival of fresh spring and summer vegetables.
I love any excuse to cook with saffron and Spanish Chicken and Rice combines one of my favorite spices with chicken and fresh veggies. Saffron is one of the most beautiful and intriguing spices. It comes from a flower and a small amount goes a long way. That’s a good thing, because it is also quite expensive. The combination of spices and vegetables in this dish yields a flavorful meal that you will want to make over and over. Everything is cooked in one pot so it makes clean up easy too!
Even though there are only two people in my household, I love making Spanish Chicken and Rice and save the leftovers to eat throughout the week. This meal tastes great reheated and is perfect for lunch or dinner!
Spanish Chicken and Rice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken pieces skin on and bone in
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3 small bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 1 cup green olives halved
- cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl, stir together garlic, red pepper flakes, lime juice, salt and pepper. Add the chicken, toss to coat, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a large frying pan with a lid, heat olive oil over medium heat. Arrange chicken in the pan, skin side down, and cook without turning, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Turn the chicken, cover the pan, and cook until golden brown on other side, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, warm broth over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and crumble in saffron; set aside.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the pan. Add the onion and bell peppers and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cumin, bay leaves, and rice and cook, stirring constantly, until the rice has absorbed the juices, about 5 minutes. Pour the saffron broth into pan and stir. Place the chicken on top. Raise heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 35 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through, the rice is starting to get tender and about half of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove lid and cook until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 to 15 additional minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Let stand for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Top with olives and cilantro, as desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 489, Fat: 31g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 96mg, Sodium: 1326mg, Potassium: 696mg, Carbohydrates: 25g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 28g, Vitamin A: 770%, Vitamin C: 71%, Calcium: 83%, Iron: 3.2%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.