Make Air Fryer Orange Chicken in less than 15 minutes with a few basic ingredients. This tasty recipe is inspired by classic orange chicken recipe but it cooks in the air fryer and is made with basic ingredients from your kitchen.
If you love using your air fryer, then you will love this easy recipe for orange chicken. Cook the little bites of boneless chicken breasts in the air fryer, add the flavorful orange sauce and enjoy. Serve the chicken with a side of rice or roasted broccoli and cauliflower. Pull together this easy dinner in little time!
This recipe is inspired by classic Chinese orange chicken and is made with ingredients commonly found in your kitchen.
What You’ll Need
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts – You can substitute with boneless skinless chicken thighs, if desired.
- Egg – This helps coat the chicken with the cornstarch.
- Cornstarch – You can substitute with arrowroot powder, if needed.
For the sauce:
- Orange juice and zest – Use freshly squeeze orange juice and zest for the best flavor.
- Soy sauce – Substitute with coconut aminos or tamari.
- Rice vinegar – This helps create an authentic orange chicken flavor.
- Ginger – Use freshly grated for the best flavor.
- Garlic – Fresh is best.
- Cornstarch – You can substitute with arrowroot powder.
- Red Pepper Flakes – For a dash of heat.
Gluten Free Air Fryer Chicken: To ensure that the chicken is gluten free, make sure you use a cornstarch made in a gluten free facility.
This recipe uses a standard air fryer. Use one with at least a 4 quart capacity.
How to Air Fry Orange Chicken
Step 1: Coat the Chicken
Place the beaten egg in a large bowl and add the cornstarch to another both. Dip the chicken, a few pieces at a time, into the egg followed by the cornstarch.
Step 2: Fry the Chicken in the Air fryer
Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place the breaded chicken in the air fryer and cook for 12 to 14 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, or until the internal temperature of the chicken registers 165 Fahrenheit on an instant read thermometer.
Step 3: Make the Sauce
Whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce in a medium sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Allow the sauce to thicken until it can coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. Allow the sauce to cool 5 minutes.
Step 4: Add the Sauce to the Chicken.
In a large bowl, toss together the sauce and chicken. Serve with your favorite side dish.
No air fryer, no problem! If you don’t have an air fryer, you can easily fry these in a skillet. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken on the skillet and brown on both sides until cooked through. Prepare the sauce in a saucepan and then add the sauce to the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until coated.
- Cut the chicken into 1″ pieces. Make sure to cut the chicken into similar sized pieces to ensure they cook evenly.
- Use parchment paper, if needed. I don’t usually have a problem with the chicken sticking in my air fryer, but if you do, line the air fryer basket with parchment paper before you add the chicken.
- Add heat. If you prefer a spicy kick to orange chicken, add red pepper flakes to the sauce.
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat in the oven, microwave or air fryer until heated through.
Other Air Fryer Dinner Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Click here to leave a review.
Air Fryer Orange Chicken
For the Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 large egg, beaten with a splash of water
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
For the Orange Sauce:
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
For the Chicken:
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray and set it aside.
- Place the beaten egg in a large bowl and the cornstarch in another large bowl.
- Dip the chicken, a few pieces at a time, into the egg followed by the cornstarch.
- Then, place the breaded chicken in the air fryer and cook at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-14 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown on the outside and registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant read thermometer.
- Allow the chicken to cool for 5 minutes before saucing– this will help prevent it from getting soggy.
For the Orange Sauce (prepare while the chicken is frying):
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Allow the sauce to thicken until it can coat the back of a spoon- about 2 minutes of simmering. Set aside to cool for at least five minutes before adding to the chicken.
- Once the chicken and sauce have cooled slightly, add them both to a large bowl and toss to combine. Garnish with green onion, parsley, and/or sesame seeds. Enjoy immediately.